Monday 29 April 2013

Transubstantiation: Performance on Paper

 

My second performance at Camberwell College of Arts, was at the Printmaking Workshop, and was titled Transubstantiation: Performance on Paper, performed on Thursday 14th April 2011. My intention was to draw a link between the printmaking process, tools, clothes and actions, with surgery; drawing a parallel between the paper and my body. The following photographs where taken with my old film camera, in collaboration with Ramon Eding, a great artist and friend, with whom it was so nice to work with (Thank you so much for these amazing pictures). I re-enacted and staged the performance again to take these.

In this performance I represent different figures, I was woman, printmaker, surgeon, mother and priest. There is one more figure, which I call The Cutter, is she who cuts herself, and lies between the woman, witch and body-artist. A defying and transgressive character that is all body, embodies everything red, accesses the forbidden insides, breaks the skin, sheds blood, is the menstruation, pain, birth, sacrifice and both destruction and creation.























The following print is the final result of the actions performed on the paper. The embossed host plate, the red baptism, the kiss, the cuts, the wound plates, the uterus and baby plates.