Wednesday 21 July 2010

One day intensive workshop in Madrid




During my short visit to Madrid in June, I organised a one-day intensive printing workshop. I worked with Blanca Quintas, Patricia Diaz and Gema Batanero to produce a collaborative piece of work on fabric for the Art Challenge. We went to one of Madrid's pubic parks, El Campo del Moro, to draw natural and human forms coexisting in a utopian landscape. We drew flowers, animals, insects, landscapes, fairies and other invented creatures. Declared of artistic and historic interest, the garden was perfect for the theme we worked on, a dream of a natural paradise, a vision that goes back to the ideal of humanity leaving in harmony with nature. During the afternoon these drawings were screenprinted onto fabric together with leaves we collected from the park, at Mediodiachica art space.
The result was a very big piece of fabric with multiple layers of drawings and a leafy background. Browns, greens, dark purple and light blue. Beings floating in a dreamt space.
It was an intense experience for me, organising and delivering the workshop with such short notice. I really enjoyed it and was delighted to teach screenprinting to fellow artists from the faculty of Madrid. It was great to work with such a small group that I knew so well, all artists with a strong background in all the fine arts. I was also very happy to be able to collaborate with Mediodiachica, a cultural association of artists, and to do the printing in their facilities. I attended my first screenprinting workshop with them and I had always wanted to keep in touch and do more stuff with them in the future. Now based in London, a short visit to Madrid was the perfect excuse to get it going! And share what I'm doing abroad with my college friends.




































Thanks to Blanca, Patri and Gema for attending and to Mediodiachica for their support. The resulting fabric piece from the workshop has been displayed as a diptych together with the fan under the title Moorish Dream and is part of the Art Challenge exhibition in Walthamstow town centre, London, from the 22nd until the 25th July. (The pieces can be found inside the library.)